Friday, September 19, 2008

Washington,DC (July 2008)


whew, I am home and still tired as heck but I'll survive I suppose...anyway, I went to DC for my sorority's 100th anniversary! It was great. Lots of ladies all over town in their pink and green. Chances are high you probably saw me...or at least thought you did.....anyway here goes the highlights:

THE METRO....not a club...a transpo way of life!I love...love..love the metro! Spend many of days riding the blue, yellow, orange and red lines of this magnificent transportation system. Cheaper than taxis..I wish I knew this the first day I was there since I spent so much on taxis!!!!http://www.wmata.com/

The White House Tour
Umm, this was kinda corny...and to think I gave up my information to get into OBAMA's house...ha ha!! The tour lasts about 20 minutes and it is literally the basement of the White House..no upper rooms for you!!!!!

The Capitol Tour
This was GREAT!!! I traveled with my friend and she contacted our state representative. We had a personalized tour...better than the docent tour. Tour lasted about 1.5 hours and it was worth it. Lots of great history. I took a lot of pictures in here. Maybe I should upload some of them.

Smithsonian
FREE...need I say more..this was great and it was topped off when one of my clients called me and took me to lunch in the Smithsonian Castle....got to know someone and have one of those "id" cards to eat in that area. Pays to know folks in high places.

Mount Vernon, VA 1st President George Washington's House
This was an awesome tour. I loved it. Price was reasonable $13 and it includes a tour of Washington's home, a movie presentation and many other things. They have his burial site here and that was quite interesting. Also, there is a slave memorial and burial ground...umm, I think I felt the ancestors there. It's weird...knowing you are walking on someone's grave site. Thank God for our ancestors though they paved the way.http://www.mountvernon.org/Many of you know I like food...ha ha, that's what Mr. O says so here are the places I dined:

Jaleo
2250 A Crystal Drive
Arlington, VA 22202
Tel (703) 413-8181
Fax (703) 413-5566http://www.jaleo.com/
I went here the last time I was in DC. Pretty good sangria and Spanish tapas. Try the monkfish...who knew I'd like such an ugly fish.....Their menus change frequently so ask if they can make your favorite dish. They have three locations but I visited the one in Crystal City.

Clyde's
5441 Wisconsin Avenue
Chevy Chase, MD 20815
Phone: 301.951.9600
http://www.clydes.com/
What can I say about that crabcake...impressive is what I should say. The price is right...$10.95 for one and that's really all you need. Try the crab bisque..you won't be disappointed..tell them mrsk sent ya! They have several locations but we took the metro to Friendship Heights (I think that's where it is).


Georgia Brown
950 15th Street
Washington, DC 20005
http://www.gbrowns.com/
Ok..what kind of "soul food" restaurant doesn't have peach cobbler....I digress..I didn't eat much here...had the crab cake appetizer and a side of mac and cheese...umm..not impressed..the crab cake at Clyde's was much better and importantly...BIGGER. I was hungry when I left. The watercress salad was good though. I met a lady here who looked exactly like me...I took her picture so maybe I'll post that and you tell me if we do or not. I had a watermelon margarita here that was so potent...I'm pretty sure I was lit after leaving the joint! Boy was it pretty though!I had drinks and appetizers at the hotel lounge which was cool.Also went to Union Station I think and met up with one of my friends. This place is a big food court but I had a little snack...

Aditi India Kitchen (in Union Station)
I had some samosas here and they were spicy and I loved them!! They give you 2 for $2 which is a great price. They also have your usual Indian specialities like curry dishes and naan. I think I saw mango pudding here as well.SHOCKINGLY.....I never had the opportunity to hit any nightspots..we were pooped by the end of the day so we just fell out by 11ish..next time, I want to dance and sip the bubbly!I hope someone will read this! I plan to come to DC again..there is so much I didn't see. I did come there for my sorority's event which I am sure you DC peeps saw us on the news!PS..ladies if you are looking for the Italian Vogue magazine...better call first.....

No comments: