Saturday, September 20, 2008

Ventura, CA (August 2008)

Charlene's Urban Tapas and Wine Bar
546 E Main St
Ventura, CA 93001-2629
Phone: (805) 652-2255
will post the website

This is a new restaurant in Ventura on the happening scene of Main Street. Charlene's is a wine bar..the place is really swanky and cool. I went there last month on a Saturday with some girlfriends. The menu is limited to only tapas but there is enough on there to appease even the picky eaters. I had the jerk shrimp over gouda grits....let me say, I am not a cheese lover and I wasn't sure I'd like gouda in my grits but oh....gouda is the way to go. The grits were smooth, not lumpy and stiff like some people make. The shrimp was fresh and quite flavorful...I would have preferred a couple more shrimp but I have to remember tapas are simply that...just an appetizer not a meal. I ordered their southern sangria...the serving size was quite ample and my mind was satisfied. I will be going back here again. There is live music during the week and on weekends. The place is cozy and well decorated..I met the owners and they kinda seem like you're dealing with your brother and sister...very nice down to earth people. Check them out and order the collard green egg rolls if you dare!

No comments: