Sunday, September 28, 2008

Oxnard, CA (September 26th, 2008)

CJ's Barbeque
http://cjsbarbecueonline.com/
480 S. Victoria Avenue
Oxnard, CA 93035
805-815-3024

Let me just say.....this place NEVER lets me down...NEVER! This is a small eatery in town and let me tell you, it is always overflowing with folks...that should tell you that they are obviously doing something right or they are putting liquid crack in the food. I vote that they are doing something right! I typically go to CJ's Barbecue after church..you know, get the soul fed and then the stomach! Amen! I went to CJ's on Friday night and I ordered the usual, my usual is half a pound of fried catfish, green beans and macaroni and cheese. Now, I must remind you that this is a southern joint. Don't come up in there expecting low fat, low carb or whatever. You might as well...go home! Their catfish is probably the best catfish one could have ever tasted. Now my husband makes good catfish but this place, it's crispy, evenly coated and for the real kicker...it's not dried out like some other places. The macaroni and cheese is homemade and baked like I like it. I typically walk in through the back door and I noticed the macaroni shells in a package..certainly not that crap you get at an unnamed chicken restaurant....Kindly Fried Chicken....The green beans are always a hit with me. I don't think they are canned beans just doctored up since canned beans typically have that odd color and slightly mushy, their green beans are seasoned with smoked meat. With the dinner, there's always a nice toasted, buttered roll. The half pound catfish dinner costs $9.99 sometimes I eat it all and others, well I'll take some home. They also sell desserts such as pecan pie (delicious and you would be remissed if you didn't have it), sweet potato pie and other items. They have peach cobbler but I am sorry CJ...it's missing a key ingredient and I am probably biased since I hail from the south...umm....only I know what the key ingredient is!!!! Regardless, if you're ever in Oxnard, do yourself a favor and go to CJ's..they even have SWEET TEA for all you Californias who can't get tea like momma used to make..you know, the tea made in the backyard..sun tea...maybe only my mom did that????

Enjoy

Duh...I failed to mention the BBQ!!! I am not much of a BBQ person but my grandma and mom came to visit me. Well, let's just say they licked the bones clean....enough said!

No comments: